Thursday, February 4, 2021

February: Just a month or a way of walking through life.... Black History Month, Heart Month, Love and Being Part 2

 Previous post focused on Black History Month.... 

But February also brings to mind love and hearts.... health in all forms in our lives.... Much like how we approach incorporating Black history into everyday life throughout the year, I would love to see a time when we did not need to have a special month focused on heart health and love.  But for now - we will use it as a time to call specific attention to things we should attend to all year long.... :)

A few months ago I started taking steps to take back my health.... I lost both of my parents to heart attacks, at far too young an age... I have already outlived the age my father was when he died.... But as I have watched other loved ones struggle with health issues over the years, I found myself halfway through my 40s and wanting to take my health back.  I want to improve on the legacy my children have - I want to be active and vibrant and wandering - well into old age... There are adventures and trips and milestones to hit....This journey is occurring as a take back my health journey rather than a weight loss journey.  I'm not sure exactly where it will end, but I know that it is leading to a healthier more active life... a stronger heart.... a reduced risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, and other chronic diseases.... For the first time in over 14 years, I'm no longer considered obese based on BMI measurements, I have logged a personal record of under 2 hours for a 15k race, I've hiked to peaks throughout Appalachia, I'm 150 miles into my 600 mile challenge for the year, and there is so much more to do.... 

February is American Heart Month where much of the public health and health focus is on understanding and focusing on the impact of heart disease on individuals.  In the United States, heart disease is the number one cause of death.  While February is heart month, this type of health awareness is so critical for us to remember and focus on throughout the year.... Instead of working toward temporary health - working for the beach body or just to reach a specific temporary goal - what would it look like if we considered overall health throughout the year - maintaining a healthy balance in all seasons?  

I am very aware of the privilege that I have to be able to prioritize my health and the finances to afford and transportation to have access to healthy food options and physical activity.  These are privileges that not everyone has access too.  I spend so much of my life working on health equity - that it feels like a waste to not take care of my health... an insult to those that do not have those same privileges and who face even greater risk.... The least I can do is to take care of the health and life I have been given.... To be able to be here and use my voice to try to help shift the system in some small way....

Take a minute, spend a moment, educate and understand.... Help each other... Particularly our sisters.... Particularly our Black and Brown sisters.... the disparities are being impacted, but we still have a long way to go.... 

Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Heart Disease

Know the Facts

Million Hearts Initiative

Heart and Health Equity

CVD and Health Equity

Heart disease is decreasing for all racial and ethnic groups, however it is still the leading cause of death in the United States and there are significant disparities in factors related to heart health: 

  • Black adults over 20 were most likely to have hypertension in 2015-2016 compared to other racial groups
  • Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black adults 20 and older were most likely to have obesity and diabetes
  • Low income and minority individuals have a less access to healthy food
  • Some research indicates that those with heart disease are at higher rates of food insecurity
  • Hospitalization rates are higher in Black communities than among white communities.

What steps can we each take to take better care of our own health.... and to help our neighbors and communities to improve theirs.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment