Saturday, July 14, 2018

Accepting the challenge

Last week my daughters climbed 178 stairs to the top of a lighthouse.  Because they could, because it didn't occur to them to say that they wouldn't try.  My youngest complained at some points about being anxious coming up or down and needing to go slowly, but she kept moving.  At no point did either one of them say that they couldn't do it because they were too young or it was too high.  I hope this is because they are watching and learning and seeing.


During the first week of this month (my birthday week), I participated in 2 different 10k races, a brutal 5 mile hike up a mountain with a 30lb ruck sack in preparation for a rucking event this September, and a gentle fun 6 hike up to some waterfalls.  I did all of this simply because I could - because I could ask my body to perform and it would.

I have always struggled with body image issues, from childhood on.  I've never been the most thin, or athletic - but I have always been active.  As I become firmly entrenched in middle age, I am finding more and more joy in being active and in finding ways to stretch and feel all parts of myself.  I don't look like a runner (or to most people even an avid hiker).  And when I am out there running or hiking, I don't think about what size I'm wearing or where I have too much cellulite - I'm simply thinking about how good it feels to move and to see and experience new things.  


I have also found that while there are some who are always surprised to find that someone who looks like me can and wants to do so much physically.  However, there are an equal number of people on the trail or at the race who are supportive and encouraging of each other regardless of athleticism or physical shape.  I find that I don't do these things to compete with other people - but rather to just feel what my body is physically capable of, while it is capable!

One of my dear friends who is currently organizing a rucking event (an all women event which I think is going to be awesome) and was laughing when she called me out publicly on Facebook inviting me to come up and participate that I responded with an almost immediate "Hell Yeah - I'll be there".... She then privately messaged me to ask if I knew what I was signing up for.  I assured that I knew generally what rucking was (I mean my baby brother was an army ranger - so yeah I have an idea) and that with all the backpacking and other things I did, I figured I would probably be ok.  Besides - it is another chance to try pushing my body, to feel all my muscles and endurance.... and to do so in one of the most beautiful parts of the southeast (the Appalachian mountains).  Will I be sore - heck yeah;  Will at times I wonder what in the hell I signed up for - I sure hope so; Will I feel amazing at having accomplished it when I am done?  MOST DEFINITELY!

This is why I take the challenges, why I push myself to stay active, to tackle physical challenges, and to feel my body - because I can - it may not be perfect but it's mine and it's strong and it's capable.... So hopefully my daughters will grow up seeing me push and will always answer with a 'sure let's go!' - we may go slow but we go.... :)  It is the best way to see new things, feel new things, and explore....

So I'll keep hiking, tangoing, and walk/jogging (yeah I don't really run run)....for as long as this body will carry me....

1 comment:

  1. I don't do these things to compete with other people....very...very....nice... :)

    ReplyDelete